Monday, March 8, 2021

Doing the Right Thing

A couple of days ago, a friend of mine posted a link on Facebook to an opinion article.  The title of the article was pretty provocative, and I admit to some curiosity.  So I took the time to read the information.  You can read it too, if you are so inclined: We Hate You Now.  It is, of course, about COVID-19 and people's behavior and reactions to it.  I normally try to steer well clear of the pandemic in this blog for three reasons.  First, I have no expertise related to pandemics or diseases.  Second, everyone is probably bombarded with information about the pandemic already, so they certainly don't need to read about it here.  And finally, I can't think of any other current issue that has caused so much controversy and destroyed so many relationships.  I'm not interested in dealing with that level of responsibility on this blog.  But in this case, I think the article raises a concept that connects to the way I want to work with my horse.

My sense after reading the opinion is that the author is very angry.  Like deeply, in-his-soul angry at people that he believes have not been "doing the right thing."  The kind of anger that eats at a person and destroys relationships and permanently alters a world view.  That is a big deal, especially if lots of other people feel the same way.  Which apparently they do, judging from other comments on Facebook.

I don't know if you feel this way or something similar or very different.  I do know that everyone I know personally has reacted to the pandemic in different ways, and I don't like the idea of invalidating anyone's feelings, because we feel what we feel.  But this level of anger and hatred concerns me more than a little.  It concerns me because it really limits our ability to heal from what has become a worldwide crisis.  It concerns me because it is clearly destroying relationships now and will continue to do so in the future.  It concerns me because people who feel this intensity of negative emotion give off an aura to those around them, and it can create a vicious cycle.  And it concerns me because when there is this much anger and hatred in your soul, what positive emotions are left for the animals around you?

I recently listened to a podcast by Warrick Schiller with Mark Rashid, and one of my takeaways from Mark Rashid is that you can't change the way you work with horses without changing yourself and the way you do everything.  You cannot have softness with your horse if you don't practice softness with your kids, or your spouse, or even the way you pick up a coffee cup.  Being mentally balanced with horses requires being mentally balanced within yourself.  I don't think the kind of anger and hate in an article entitled, "We Hate You Now," has any place in a mentally balanced person.  

Another thing that Mark and Warwick talked a lot about in the podcast was getting rid of judgment, for horses and for people.  Warwick did another podcast - I can't remember which one - where he went into detail about a technique his therapist recommended that involved putting some tiny stones in his pocket and moving them to his other pocket whenever he had a judgmental thought.  He joked that he thought maybe he would have about three judgmental thoughts during the day, but it turned out he had something like 22 before breakfast.  His point was that we don't even realize how often we are judging ourselves, other people, and our horses.  And to get to the point where we can work well with our horses, we have to work on getting rid of those judgmental thoughts - in all forms.

But what about when it comes to "doing the right thing."  I mean, is it OK to judge people and then take that judgment into anger and even hate when you know that those people are not doing the right thing?  I can't answer that question for you.  But I can answer that question for me.  It isn't.  It isn't OK for me to be so angry that I hate people that are my friends, my family, and even strangers because they are reacting differently to a situation than I am.  And the reason has significantly less to do with their behavior than it does with mine.  I can't be the person I need to be for Donut if I hate people and discard my friendships because my friends don't think and act like me.  (If I required my friends to feel the same way I do about all the things that are important to me, I would literally have zero friends.)

I want more than anything to form a connection with Donut that is just as fulfilling as the one I had with Nimo.  And I can't do that if my mind is full of anger and hate.  So I'm going to be spending the rest of my life working on that.  Working on letting go of the judgment of myself and my horse and other people.  I don't think this is something I can just flip a switch and accomplish.  Instead, much like horsemanship, it is a lifelong commitment to being more mindful and more aware of my thoughts and my emotions and my body.  

To me, a connection with my horse is worth more than any satisfaction I might get from judging someone else's behavior.  My whole life is full of being surrounded by people that don't do the right thing.  They slack off at work.  They don't follow traffic laws.  They have 23 items in the express lane.  They don't take feed their dog like I do.  They parent differently than I do.  They value different things than I do.  And if there are too many differences between me and another person or those differences make me uncomfortable, I can choose to minimize or even completely exclude that person from my life.  

But I don't want to make that exclusion based on hate.  I want it to be based on a thoughtful awareness of the value the person adds to my life in terms of helping me be the person I want to be.  I know for many people, the pandemic has overwhelmed their existence and fundamentally changed their lives in ways that may not seem that positive right now.  There can be no question that so much damage has occurred to people's lives and businesses and that damage is likely to continue for awhile.  But good things have happened too.  Nature finds a way to balance everything, and it occurs to me that there is probably a pretty good reason for that. 

So I'm going to focus less on whether or not I think someone else is doing the right thing, and focus more on whether I am doing the right thing for myself and my horse.

8 comments:

  1. We definitely need more love, patience and empathy in this world. This last year has created many divisions and I think the isolation and anxiety has been an important factor. Thank you for this and I will check out the podcast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You couldn't be more right, Nat D! Some positive emotions and practices would really help us now:) I hope you enjoy the podcast!

      Delete
  2. My very favorite horsey blog turned into something so full of hate that I had to stop reading it. Not just the number of times the word "I hate" was typed, but the sincere desire for people to literally burn in hell.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so sorry that happened, lytha. I have definitely had to be more careful about who I follow on social media and what I read. There is a lot of hate out there and it seems to be not only more acceptable to vehemently express it, but almost encouraged. If you don't express the same hate, many people will turn their hate on you because you aren't hateful about the same things they are hateful about. It's a little bit scary, actually...

      Delete
  3. I found your blog through Nat D and I’m glad. I couldn’t agree more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is still so sad to me that the 95% of me you enjoyed couldn't overcome the 5% you didn't. Yes. I never realized that when I smacked Bronson it was a really bad response for my frustration when I knew he could do better and had seen him do better. Well I quit that. I still call him a goober or a jamoke (sometimes loudly) but that's it. If only you had told me ... .anyway, I took him to Old Rag the other day and when the others didn't show I was determined to not miss the gorgeous weather without riding. I was as cool as cucumber... Bronson was as higher than on high alert. We has a "discussion" at the entry gate (its narrow and with big rocks) and at the stream crossing (which he had crossed many times before). But I kept quietly asking and talking to him - the gate took 5 times- the stream only 2 - and he did both. On the way back he was back to his old self - playing in the stream. I think he has figured out he can go through all those without feeling any discomfort. A new vet put him on Adequon - and we're back to just little stumbles (which he always did) and not the hit the dirt to his knees -jerking the reins out of my hands kind of stumbling. I was ready to get another horse until the blanket incident - where I got so scared I decided then and there that if he couldn't do what I wanted to do - I wasn't going to do it - rather than swapping him out for another horse. In other words - I made the conscious decision to not resent him (or hate him) for what he couldn't do but to love all that he could (and does) do for me on every ride. I decided the 95% of good outweighed the 5% of him that can still make me crazy. I just had to help him. I "told" him by switching vets that I had to see if a physical problem could be the issue. Turns out it was. I didn't throw him under the bus when I was not happy with his behavior without at least trying to figure out if I could turn it around. All bc of a blanket (which is another story). A winter blanket.Anyway, please don't congratulate me bc you now think I'm a better person because I don't really think I'm a new "me". But rather than toss relationships I try to take a breath before saying anything. And not be so sensitive (which I still am) when I've been (or feel I've been) hurt. But, you're right - there are some who you just can't mesh with no matter what and those I recognize as worth working with (me included) or just letting that 5% go. In any event - I'm still hopeful to complete at least one 25 mile LD - just not trying on any Old Dominion course! So much so that I'm taking Bronson with me for the summer to at least keep him trail riding. We both need each other to help each other. Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?! ... or an old lady. You can delete me as soon as you read this. No worries. Or block me. I'll cry but then I'll get over it. Hey, one thing at a time...I can't do everything at once.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you and Bronson are still out on the trails! It takes courage to keep working with a horse when they start having problems, especially because I think there can be pressure to retire or back burner or even get rid of horses that have problems. And there aren't a lot of really knowledgeable people to get advice from anymore. So trying to address an issue sometimes feels like falling down a rabbit hole with no exit.

      Good luck to both of you as you work toward your goal of a 25-mile ride:)

      Delete