Monday, January 17, 2022

Winter is here!

I hear people complaining a lot about the cold or the snow this time of year.  Which I think is hysterical, having grown up in a place where temperatures can fall significantly below zero with wind on top of that.  A place where winter seems like it lasts for about six months out of the year and the cold becomes its own entity.  

I remember one Christmas when I was growing up.  My family was driving to visit my grandma for the day.  The actual temperature was about -35 degrees, and the car heater couldn't overcome the cold seeping into the car.  So we wore our winter boots and parkas and hats and gloves for the whole three and a half hour drive (and then again on the way home).

Or the time I was in college in Iowa and headed home for Christmas break.  There was a big storm that encompassed multiple states.  The biggest problem was getting through Minnesota.  There was so much snow that even on an interstate highway with every college kid in the tri-state area trying to find their way home, it was unclear exactly where the road was.  And it was so cold that I had to pull over periodically to scrape the ice off my windshield because the defrost couldn't keep up with it.  I made it to a friend's house in Fargo, ND around 1 am (I think I'd probably been on the road around 10-12 hours at that point) and stayed overnight.  I think both interstates out of Fargo were closed not long after I got off the road.  (Yes, that is a thing.  Roads literally have barriers that can be closed if the weather is bad.  It doesn't happen that often, but it does happen.  Here in Virginia, I guess the Department of Transportation relies on accidents to close the roads...)  The next day my friend helped me shovel my car out of about three feet of snow, only for me to discover that the alternator had died.  So I had to stay another 2-3 days to get the car repaired before continuing on for the next 300 miles to my parents' house.

These are just a couple of examples of what my experience with winter has been like, so when people complain because it is 38 degrees and cloudy outside, I laugh to myself.  Or sometimes out loud.  Because it just doesn't compare to what I grew up with.

Of course, everyone adapts to the location where they live, and I suspect even I would be intimidated by winter in New England states.  I've seen pictures and the sheer amount of snow is mind-boggling.  On the other hand, I wonder what it would be like to live there.  Now that I appreciate the slower times of the year, I imagine how nice it would be for nature to insist that people slow down.

We've had a couple of really warm and notably unsnowy winters here in Virginia.  Thus, the population was lulled into thinking that Virginia had been converted into North Carolina.  December was full of 60 and even 70 degree days and zero snow, setting an unrealistic tone for the winter.  So we were caught off guard when we got almost 11 inches of snow where I live and more than that in other areas.  And it wasn't just any snow, it was heavy, wet snow that took down trees.  And the trees took down power lines (because in Virginia, it apparently makes sense to run power lines through big trees).  And I suspect the rest of the country watched the train wreck that was I-95, where an accident involving six semi-trucks started a chain reaction that defied belief and led to a complete blockage of the interstate in both directions for something like 27 hours, leaving people stranded with no way to get out or be rescued or even eat.

After two years of mild winters, no one could believe that we were actually getting real winter.  I admit to being one them.  After all, it was literally 65 degrees outside the day before it happened.  I couldn't imagine how snow would even accumulate on such warm ground.  But as the temperature dropped quickly overnight, and the snow started, accumulate is exactly what it did.

I spent most of the day beating the trees in our yard with a broom, trying to save them from the ever-increasing weight of the snow that was bending them to the ground, while my husband and daughter cleared snow from the cars, driveway, and sidewalk.  I honestly didn't think either our dogwood or our magnolia would make it.  But they did.  All of our trees survived.  But many other trees did not.  Evergreens were particularly vulnerable, but I saw some trees that were probably either oak or maple that just had the trunk standing.  All of the branches collapsed and fell to the ground, as if the tree simply given up.

By about 2 pm, the storm was over.  In mere hours, Mother Nature had wreaked a havoc that we haven't seen in a long time.  Perhaps by way of apology for the devastation, the sun even came out and started melting the snow.  I took that as my cue to head out to the barn.  I wasn't sure I would make it.  The horror stories about the roads were still coming in.  But I figured if the road was blocked, I would just turn around and come home.  I knew the horses would be OK, but I still wanted to check on them.  None of them were wearing blankets and the barn owner had told me Star was shivering that morning, although Freya and Donut seemed fine.  I asked the owner to bring Star in, so she could spend the day in Donut's stall warming up, and I wanted to assess the situation.  (I couldn't put blankets on the night before because it was so warm.  They would have been sweating like crazy.  In hindsight, I should have gone out to the barn at midnight-ish to put the blankets on, but I really wasn't sure where the line was for either Star or Freya in terms of when they would get cold.  So note to self for future events where it is 65 degrees and then 20 degrees 12 hours later.)

Amazingly, I didn't have any issues getting out to the barn.  Our neighborhood hadn't been plowed at all, but the four-wheel drive in my truck handled the snow like a hot knife through butter.  After that, the roads were clear.  No abandoned vehicles.  No accidents.  And no traffic.  Everywhere, trees were drooping to the ground and power lines were at risk.  It was a very surreal experience.  

The road just before getting to the barn.  You can't see them, but there are power lines in these trees.  I was torn between seeing how beautiful the snow was and terrified that one of the trees would fall on me.

I was happy to find Star in the barn, looking warm and munching on hay.  I brushed her to make her coat fluffy and then put her new blanket on before turning her back out.

Star takes everything in stride!

 
How fun is the pattern on Star's blanket!  It makes me happy to look at it!

Next, I brought Freya in and did the same.  Gemma really wanted her to have a blanket because it was supposed to be in the low 20s overnight and even colder the next day.  The horses had handled temps in the teens already with no blankets, but I ended up putting the blanket on.  Mostly because I felt guilty that Star had gotten chilled.  And yes, I know Freya did not get chilled, but guilt is a funny thing...

Freya's blanket is so colorful, I'm convinced she can be seen from space! LOL!
 

I didn't feel the least bit guilty about Donut, though.  She has never worn a blanket in her short life and has seemed to handle whatever nature can throw at her just fine.  Also, early that morning, I had gotten a picture from the barn owner showing Donut on the wrong side of the fence.  For the second time, she had broken out of the field.  She has figured out how to pop the fence boards.  She only escapes to a place she can't get out of, which is sort of bizarre, but I can only imagine what she would do with a blanket.  She routinely picks them up off the ground and tries to play with them, and she demolished a saddle pad that she somehow snagged from a saddle rack outside her stall.  I think it took less than five minutes.  So no blankets for Donut unless it is a medical emergency or she develops a better sense of respect for my stuff.

Donut is perfectly happy with no blanket.

After I was certain the horses were fine and well-fed, I headed back home.  It took days for the thousands (or maybe even tens of thousands) of households to get their power back, especially because we got another mini-snow of a few inches a day or two later.  But eventually the snow melted and life returned to normal.  For a short while...

We had more snow yesterday.  Not nearly as much as a couple of weeks ago, but this time, people took it more seriously.  And I prepped the horses the day before because I wasn't sure if I would be able to get out to the barn.  In fact, I spent all day doing stuff to keep my mind off the fact that I wasn't supposed to go to the barn.  I was going to be a responsible citizen and stay off the roads during the storm so the plows could do their thing.  I painted.  I printed pictures.  I hung out with Gemma.  I read.  I spent too much time on Facebook.  I made chili.  I cleaned one corner of the living room while averting my eyes from the other three corners so as not to be overwhelmed with the amount of clutter that still needed to be picked up.

But by 1:30, I had reached the point where I was either going to have to fold laundry (the horror!) or go to the barn.  The snow had only started at 12:30, and there wasn't much accumulation yet.  I finally decided to go because I knew I'd obsess otherwise.

The roads were not too bad at that point.  Traffic was light and plows were out, although it didn't appear that they were actually doing much plowing.  Visibility was OK at about a half mile, and honestly, it wasn't the kind of weather that I would categorize as a storm.  It wasn't nothing, but it didn't seem dangerous.

This time I brought a sidekick.  We got a new dog about six months ago.  She is a rescue from South Carolina, and I'm pretty sure she'd never seen snow until a couple of weeks ago.  She decided that it really isn't her cup of tea, but she loves car rides more than anything.  She wasn't able to get out in the yard as much as she is used to because of the cold and the snow, so I wanted to give her something to do instead.  She happily hopped in the truck with me and was a lovely companion - no backseat driving!:)

Yes, her doggie blanket matches Star's:)

This time the road to the barn was not as pretty, but still quite passable.

 

I got to the barn in good time, and found all the horses perfectly happy eating at the round bale. 

"What blizzard?" they seem to say.

Donut was not bothered in the slightest bit by the crust of snow forming on her back.

Because they all seemed comfortable, I gave them some treats and headed home.  I had gotten my horse fix for the day and I had chili on the stove!

I know that lots of people are sad about the winter weather, but I'm thankful for the rest and the lack of bugs.  And I won't even mind if it snows again next weekend!

3 comments:

  1. Good day Gail, I enjoy your stories. I found your page by searching "can Friesian do endurance?". Though its been 2 years, sorry for the lost and Nimo was a wonderful horse. I am from Malaysia and I have a dream of owning a Black horse, a horse which I can bring him/her to the beach, to trail riding, to 25miles or 50miles endurance race. The first thought I have was Friesian(the cost posted on the internet deter me a little, Euro30k on average + 10k transportation), because I weighted around 180pound, thinking a bigger horse is a better choice, but many people told me it's a good choice as a family horse, but not a good exercise companion. I have seen many Arabians in my country, but not Friesian, not Andalusian. Is there any advice you can provide? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shawn,

      Thanks for reaching out:) It can be a little daunting to start looking for a horse. You are the only one who can know for sure what you feel comfortable with, but I can say that I don't think Friesians are a great choice for endurance. I was able to do a little with Nimo, but every step was a challenge, and I definitely felt discouraged more than once when I looked around and saw others having a much easier time. I don't regret anything I did with Nimo - he was a wonderful horse and I learned so much - but if I knew I wanted to do endurance and I could choose a horse, I would not get a Friesian. They simply don't have the metabolics to handle the challenges of endurance as a rule.

      Arabians are definitely the mount of choice and there are some that have more substantive bone and are taller. I've seen them at 16 hands, which would be plenty for your weight, I think. The general rule of thumb is to keep your weight plus tack to be less than 25% of the horse's weight. But there are certainly those who exceed that percentage and still do fine. Conditioning well is the key there. I'm not sure whether you are comfortable importing, but if you are, you might be able to find a substantive Arabian that has some good ranch experience. That would be the kind of Arabian I would look for if I was getting one. The ranch-bred horses may not have the elite endurance lines, but they are likely to be quieter and have good skills for being in the wilderness and handling trails and camping.

      Arabians tend to be more reasonably priced and more widely available, which is good. But they can be energetic and more forward-thinking than most people want.

      So of course, one great alternative is an Arabian cross. In the US, I have become aware that there are certain lines of Arabians crossed with Friesians that eat up the trail and are great for endurance. They tend to have calmer temperaments and improved metabolics. But I think any Arabian-cross would be nice (assuming the horse has good conformation, temperament, etc.).

      Morgans and mustangs can also be nice. And some people here swear by their off-the-track Standardbreds. Even horses of undetermined breeding can make good mounts.

      An endurance horse needs to be a jack-of-all-trades in many respects. He needs to be able to travel well, handle new places with calmness, be able to be handled by new people (like the volunteers and vets at the vet checks), stay in a pen or tied to a trailer for one or two nights, not get excited at the start of a ride, be able to pace himself (or at least listen to his rider and let the rider pace for him), eat and drink well, and be fit and sound. While a lot of people like to say any horse can be an endurance horse, the reality is that there are some horses for whom endurance is going to be a lot easier than others. A less athletic horse that is used to going places and doing things has a huge advantage over an athletic, but flighty or reactive horse because of the decreased likelihood of injuring himself or getting ulcers or other digestive issues.

      Delete
    2. What I recommend is for you to go volunteer at the endurance rides in your area and find out first if you really want to do endurance riding. It is perfectly possible to enjoy life with horses out on the trail and camping without competing in endurance.

      If endurance riding still appeals to you after volunteering at 3 or 4 rides, then start thinking about the horses you've seen. Talk to the riders about where they got their horses and what breeds they are. Every country has a different culture for endurance riding, and the breeds that are most common are likely the ones that do the best in that culture.

      Another thing to think about is if you might want to do something other than endurance. Is endurance something you just want to try to see how it is and then maybe move on to something else? Or maybe you want to do endurance and dressage or endurance and jumping or something else. That is something to consider too. Horses that are very specialized for endurance may have trouble slowing down to enjoy a calm trail ride or learning the focus that dressage requires.

      Finally, think about what your skill set is going in to horse ownership. You didn't say whether you've owned horses before. If you haven't or maybe your ownership is at a beginner level, I honestly wouldn't recommend even thinking about doing endurance for at least a couple of years after getting the horse. You've got to know your horse inside and out, you've got to understand hoof care, nutrition, medical care, environment, riding in balance, and a whole host of other things, plus you need to be able to keep your horse someplace where you have access to regular arena and trail riding for conditioning and cross-training and where you have some control over the horse's care and turnout to be successful.

      And finally, make sure the horse you get is a good fit for you and your way of riding and your skill set. Don't get an Arabian who is great at endurance or who is the "right" size but who isn't a match for your skills. Some very experienced horses require very experienced riders, and they aren't that much fun to ride for anyone who isn't a diehard for that discipline. Whereas some less experienced horses have great temperaments and they can handle mistakes or confusion better, especially as you learn a new discipline.

      Anyway, I don't mean to discourage you from your dreams! I hope I provided some ideas and food for thought, and I do hope you find your perfect horse and enjoy a gallop on the beach!:)

      Delete